[ProgClub programming] VM won't boot after salt config

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Sun Jun 30 20:29:22 AEST 2019

On 30/6/19 8:09 pm, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 at 18:42, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org
> <mailto:jj5 at progclub.org>> wrote:
>
>     Actually that's not true. I copied a 'clean' virtual disk and mounted it
>     with qemu-nbd before applying the salt config and then applied my salt
>     config. I then looked for deltas between the clean image and the broken
>     image, which is how I diagnosed the issue.
>
>  If you're not running etckeeper, you should be.
>
>  If you're running etckeeper, and rightly using git to do so, then you
> can set up automated regular syncs.  I use pulls from my core host, as
> it's easier to orchestrate and I feel a bit more secure.   But you could
> have a repo per host, and do pushes.  Either way it means you can be
> confident of having a contemporary copy of /etc to refer to without
> having to fiddle around.

Yes, I am running etckeeper with local git backend. But the problem I
had preceded etckeeper being installed (i.e. the initial salt
state.highstate, which, among other things, installs etckeeper, fucked
the grub config and rendered the system unbootable (sort of)).

But I had a solution anyway, which was to mount a clean copy of the
virtual disk. Also, the salt logs (which I used) were probably more
useful than the etckeeper logs would have been.

Defense in depth? :P

>     I do run the servers headless, but not during installation as the
>     installer is interactive.
>
>  I don't understand this.  What installer requires a GUI on the local
> machine?  Is this Windows, or Wayland?

Are you talking about GUI on the VM host or on the VM guests?

I run a KDE system on the VM host and you will never ever talk me out of
that. In addition to running the VM host with a physical KVM attached I
also have remote access via VNC. I use both features quite a bit as it
suits me.

I generally run VM guests headless, except for when I'm doing an initial
install from "CD" (i.e. a mounted ISO image) which is interactive.

As I mentioned in future I will be able to spinup headless guests
noninteractively by cloning a base image and reconfiguring network
settings etc. like I do here:

 https://svn.jj5.net/jjrepo/jj5-bin/branches/0.2/bin/lib/vbox.sh