[ProgClub programming] VM won't boot after salt config

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Sun Jun 30 23:02:19 AEST 2019

On 30/6/19 10:34 pm, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 at 20:29, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org
> <mailto:jj5 at progclub.org>> wrote:
>
>     Yes, I am running etckeeper with local git backend. But the problem I
>     had preceded etckeeper being installed
>
>  You misunderstand.
>
>  With git you can you do a git-pull & commit regularly - say hourly.
>  The local copy (or inability to access it) is immaterial then.
>
>  It wouldn't matter when you *installed* etckeeper, just how long it was
> since the change you made upstream that broke your server, and the time
> it took for the changes to be committed & pulled/pushed (say, on average
> less than an hour).

I did understand. I've put this on my TODO list for my ongoing
maintenance to grab the etckeeper repositories from my hosts. I already
do this with rsync copies but it would probably be safer to use git pull.

Of course this error occurred on a brand new server which only just had
etckeeper installed, so there is no historical config to compare.

>  Why you're making changes that 'fuck grub' aren't clear, but are
> somewhat to one side.

That's a very good question. I have a config file in my salt config for
/etc/default/grub, but I'm not sure why. I imagine I could just leave
that file alone and use whatever config the machine comes with. I don't
know why I'm not doing that. I expect this was related to a 16.04 to
18.04 migration. I have removed this configuration now. But of course
it's already been applied across my fleets.

>     >     I do run the servers headless, but not during installation as the
>     >     installer is interactive.
>     >
>     >  I don't understand this.  What installer requires a GUI on the local
>     > machine?  Is this Windows, or Wayland?
>
>     Are you talking about GUI on the VM host or on the VM guests?
>
>  Per my question, it doesn't matter which.
>
>  Btw, which?

I'm installing an Ubuntu Server 18.04.2 LTS guest on a Kubuntu Desktop
18.04.2 LTS host running VirtualBox 6.0.

>     I generally run VM guests headless, except for when I'm doing an initial
>     install from "CD" (i.e. a mounted ISO image) which is interactive.
>
>  I'll reiterate my earlier question - what installer(s) require a GUI on
> the local machine?

All of them? I think you can do fancy automated installations using DHCP
and network boot magic, but I've never done that. As I mentioned, twice,
I don't need a GUI to clone existing VMs. Otherwise it's insert DVD or
USB, make sure the BIOS is set to boot it, then follow the GUI to
configure hostname, user account, network settings, etc.