[ProgClub programming] AMD vs Nvidia

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 18:03:22 AEST 2020

 Hi John,

 I'd guess it depends what you're optimising for.

 AMD's third-gen Ryzen range evidently provides the best bang per buck,
especially if you've got a workload that takes advantage of multiple cores.

 But I'm guessing because you're talking 'vs nvidia' that you mean graphics
cards only ... ?

 In which case, it'd also depend on your workload.

 If you're not doing anything that needs a lot of 3D grunt, and you're not
driving one or more 8k displays, then I suspect there's very little in it.
My one bit of anecdata with a mid-range AMD GPU a while ago ... was that I
simply couldn't get X going with it, despite it being a greenfield build
for a friend.  Ended up getting a lower mid-range nvidia card, and that
Just Worked (proprietary drivers, but on a Debian build, natch).

 People say AMD video cards Just Work on GNU/Linux systems, though, and the
support for Wayland is much better, but, really, I'm clearly not the person
to ask about that.