[ProgClub programming] AMD vs Nvidia

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Mon Jul 13 23:42:14 AEST 2020

I'm budget conscious and just want something that will be able to drive
dual 4k monitors. I don't think I care for 3D capabilities at all. I
won't be gaming, just programming via my KDE Plasma desktop.

I currently have an Nvidia card with no problems (under Kubuntu, not
sure if I'm running the proprietary drivers or not, I forget).

At the moment I'm thinking I might as well go AMD because the CPU in my
new computer will be AMD and who doesn't love a theme? :)

This is the card I'm looking at:

 https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-R55XTGAMING-OC-4GD/sp#sp

It has three DisplayPort 1.4 ports (I only need two) and it can do
7‎680x4320 at 60Hz which is dual 4k which is what I want.

I'm just a little worried that It Just Doesn't Work... because I'm old
and jaded... :P