[ProgClub programming] Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 23:23:38 AEST 2020

 I was looking at these again today, as it happens, after George somehow
broke one of my two (reasonably) new Model 4B's.

 Looks like the Model 4 with the faster 2GB RAM is $75, while the 3B is $4
cheaper, but has only 1GB of DDR2.

 Is there some compatibility reason to go for the 3B at this stage?

 I know the layout, therefore the case requirement, is different - and the
4 uses USB-C rather than micro-USB, and draws a bit more (3A vs 2.5A)
power, consequently really benefits from a honking big heat sink if you're
putting a lot of consistent load on it, plus it uses (dual) microHDMI -
which for me meant having to obtain yet more video cables.

 But it has true GbE ethernet (not backed onto USB), which is compelling
for me where I need to physically attach (shame it's not PoE, but that
would have boosted the price substantially), as well as USB 3 (which makes
RAID1 *kind* of feasible again)