[ProgClub programming] Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Mon Jul 20 13:11:10 AEST 2020

On 20/7/20 7:45 am, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> Will Ubuntu Server be sufficient to tail -f a log file?

But of course. I just want something that's not loading X Windows.

> I thought you were starting to lean away from Ubuntu's shenanigans.

No, I'm still pretty much all-in with Ubuntu. A long time ago I
installed Debian in preference to Ubuntu in response to Canonical's
desktop search shenanigans, but since then I've returned pretty much
entirely to the fold. Most of my servers are Ubuntu Server and most of
my workstations are Kubuntu, all 18.04 LTS, and I'm happy for the time
being.

> As to monitor - I *imagine* a 3" touchscreen would be precisely as fun
> to use as it sounds (ie. not much).

I'm particularly interested in how they might be co-opted for network
configuration for a personal server...

> I picked up a 7" monitor for $70
> (refer:  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254630382773 ) a while ago, and
> it's quite serviceable for those rare occasions when I need to plug a
> monitor into one of my running (but otherwise headless) raspberry pis,
> especially in tandem with a mini wireless keyboard/mouse
> (eg. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/363026974118 )

Nice one! Thanks for the references.