[ProgClub programming] Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Tue Jul 21 18:31:05 AEST 2020

On 20/7/20 1:11 pm, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:
> On 20/7/20 7:45 am, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
>> Will Ubuntu Server be sufficient to tail -f a log file?
>
> But of course. I just want something that's not loading X Windows.

I've been on a little adventure.

I was playing with the default Raspian version that came with my NOOBS
16GB MicroSD card. But I managed to brick that by trying to change my
username from 'pi' to 'jj5' for UID 1000 in /etc/passwd -- after I
rebooted I couldn't log in as with 'pi' *or* 'jj5'! Who knew!? :)

This meant that I had to learn how to use the Raspberry Pi Imager for
Mac OS X -- but this turned out to be relatively trivial, sans some
complications due to my SD card reader (I ran up the shop to buy a new one).

First up I tried Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS. But (as I suspected) I
couldn't get Salt Stack working on that. And if I can't have Salt Stack
I don't care very much for Ubuntu Server.

I found this thing called Ubuntu Core 18. Hadn't heard of that before.
Apparently it's Canonical's IoT operating system. So I gave it a go. But
like the second question in the installer is email address. I tried to
skip this question but that didn't seem possible. I didn't have an
account so I couldn't get past that screen so I gave up on Ubuntu Core.

Then I found Raspberry Pi OS Lite (32-bit) and now I have gone with
that. There is a `raspi-config` command for taking care of a bunch of
configuration tasks. So far so good.