[ProgClub programming] Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 19:23:06 AEST 2020

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 18:31, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org>
wrote:

> On 20/7/20 1:11 pm, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:
> > On 20/7/20 7:45 am, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> >> Will Ubuntu Server be sufficient to tail -f a log file?
> >
> > But of course. I just want something that's not loading X Windows.

 Btw, X or  X Window System - never X Windows.

I was playing with the default Raspian version that came with my NOOBS
> 16GB MicroSD card. But I managed to brick that by trying to change my
> username from 'pi' to 'jj5' for UID 1000 in /etc/passwd -- after I
> rebooted I couldn't log in as with 'pi' *or* 'jj5'! Who knew!? :)

 Interesting.  You should have been able to login as root from the console,
yes?

> This meant that I had to learn how to use the Raspberry Pi Imager for
> Mac OS X -- but this turned out to be relatively trivial, sans some
> complications due to my SD card reader (I ran up the shop to buy a new
> one).

 On OSX that's still just 'dd', isn't it?

I found this thing called Ubuntu Core 18. Hadn't heard of that before.
> Apparently it's Canonical's IoT operating system. So I gave it a go. But
> like the second question in the installer is email address. I tried to
> skip this question but that didn't seem possible.

 Why do you still trust and use Ubuntu?

Then I found Raspberry Pi OS Lite (32-bit) and now I have gone with
> that. There is a `raspi-config` command for taking care of a bunch of
> configuration tasks. So far so good.

 Is this just Raspbian?  I think perhaps it is.

 Raspbian is basically Debian, but (at least originally) with a modified
kernel, from back in the old days when a standard kernel simply wouldn't
run on the early model Pis.

 Now the distinction is probably even more subtle - some binary blobs that
Debian (DFSG) wouldn't agree with, but I suspect almost everything else
looks and smells close to pure.  I've never hit any problems with Raspbian
that have motivated me to explore alternative distributions.  Not that I
really push the use case boundaries of any of my Pis.

 Oh, I should perhaps identify my Kodi / OpenElec Pi as an exception -
though I now think of that more as a black box appliance than a computer
running GNU/Linux + tools.

 And Home Assistant (which I'm not actually running currently, so that's
easier to overlook).