[ProgClub programming] Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Tue Jul 21 19:51:49 AEST 2020

On 21/7/20 7:23 pm, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
>  Btw, X or  X Window System - never X Windows.

Oh. Okay.

>     I was playing with the default Raspian version that came with my NOOBS
>     16GB MicroSD card. But I managed to brick that by trying to change my
>     username from 'pi' to 'jj5' for UID 1000 in /etc/passwd -- after I
>     rebooted I couldn't log in as with 'pi' *or* 'jj5'! Who knew!? :)
>
>  Interesting.  You should have been able to login as root from the
> console, yes?

Perhaps if I had preempted such trouble and configured a password for root?

>     This meant that I had to learn how to use the Raspberry Pi Imager for
>     Mac OS X -- but this turned out to be relatively trivial, sans some
>     complications due to my SD card reader (I ran up the shop to buy a
>     new one).
>
>  On OSX that's still just 'dd', isn't it?

Quite possibly. Anyway there was an easy GUI thing.

>     I found this thing called Ubuntu Core 18. Hadn't heard of that before.
>     Apparently it's Canonical's IoT operating system. So I gave it a go. But
>     like the second question in the installer is email address. I tried to
>     skip this question but that didn't seem possible.
>
>  Why do you still trust and use Ubuntu?

Well I'm kind of invested in it now (some degree of vendor lock-in). The
reason I used it in preference to Debian was its Long Term Support which
made me feel warm and fuzzy. Still kinda does.

It's nice to know though that if push came to shove I could escape to
Debian (although I don't know if I'd run 'testing' or something else,
that would be a question for you!).

That Salt Stack is currently unsupported on 20.04 is starting to become
a problem for me. I'd like to upgrade my 10.04 systems but I can't
because I rely on Salt Stack being available.

>     Then I found Raspberry Pi OS Lite (32-bit) and now I have gone with
>     that. There is a `raspi-config` command for taking care of a bunch of
>     configuration tasks. So far so good.
>
>  Is this just Raspbian?  I think perhaps it is.

AIUI "Raspbian" has been rebranded "Raspberry Pi OS". So, yes, it's just
Raspbian.

>  Raspbian is basically Debian, but (at least originally) with a modified
> kernel, from back in the old days when a standard kernel simply wouldn't
> run on the early model Pis.

I had gathered as much. Feels like an old pair of jeans.