[ProgClub programming] Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Tue Jul 21 22:32:22 AEST 2020

On 21/7/20 10:09 pm, Bryn Davies wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 at 22:37, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org
> <mailto:jj5 at progclub.org>> wrote:
>
>     Got my first Raspberry Pi today. I got the 3B+ model:
>
> Nice! I'll be interested to see what you do with it. The availability of
> the GPIO pins as well as the USB on the go functionality let you build
> some interesting installations that sort of sit in an interesting place
> compared to microcontroller boards like the Teensy.  Keep us posted!

Well it arrived today and after a few hours configuring it I now have it
in production tailing my weblogs to an old monitor.

You can see it in action over here:

 https://www.jj5.net/file/2020-07-21-222230/IMG_1006.JPG

(It's the high one in the background on top of my shelf with the
colorized web logs visible)

So that Raspberry Pi is baked. I think I'm gonna get myself a version 4
model to play with...

I was thinking I might get two or three of them and use the Wi-Fi to
interconnect them in the house so I can flag when Mum or Dad are in the
bathroom upstairs, in which case people need to know they shouldn't
flush a toilet or run a tap, because that consumes all the water
pressure and if someone is having a shower it turns off and runs cold.
That would be a fun project with some interesting subprojects such as
how to detect if the bathroom is in use, how to display bathroom status,
how to inter-communicate, etc.

> I have been thinking of reviving one of the Pis in my house to stream
> music from youtube, but people tell me the sound hardware isn't that
> crash hot. (Would I even notice?)

You may. I find I don't know my sound is shit until I get better sound
and then realise what I've been missing out on...