[ProgClub programming] Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Tue Jul 21 23:21:55 AEST 2020

On 21/7/20 11:01 pm, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 19:51, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org
> <mailto:jj5 at progclub.org>> wrote:
>
>     >  Interesting.  You should have been able to login as root from the
>     > console, yes?
>
>     Perhaps if I had preempted such trouble and configured a password
>     for root?
>
> https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/blob/master/buildroot/.config#L268

Oh, okay, cool. Thanks. I didn't know. Now that I do know I will change
that default.

>     >     This meant that I had to learn how to use the Raspberry Pi
>     Imager for
>     >     Mac OS X -- but this turned out to be relatively trivial, sans
>     some
>     >     complications due to my SD card reader (I ran up the shop to buy a
>     >     new one).
>     >
>     >  On OSX that's still just 'dd', isn't it?
>
>     Quite possibly. Anyway there was an easy GUI thing.
>
>  "I had to learn how to ..."
>
>  vs
>
>  dd if=raspbian.dd of=/dev/sd[x]
>
>  I guess if you've not used dd before, then there's a learning
> requirement on either, but installing and then fiddling around with a
> gui app seems a bit more convoluted than just installing via dd in a
> terminal.

I have used dd many times, most recently to create bootable USB drives
from .iso and .dmg files. But I always need to search for the
instructions and I usually do this from my MacBook Pro because it has
the most accessible USB ports for me.

The nice thing about the GUI is you don't need to find and download the
raspbian.dd file you're referring to. You just pick the OS you want from
a list and it gets downloaded automatically (I wasn't even aware there
was such a thing as the raspbian.dd file).

>  Actually, I'm jumping ahead - was there a reason to not just do this
> using dd on the GNU/Linux box?

Well the main reason being I didn't know it was possible to login to the
box as root. Still now that I know about the Raspberry Pi Imager GUI I
can't imagine I'd trouble myself with .dd files and wget/dd/etc.

>     Well I'm kind of invested in it now (some degree of vendor lock-in). The
>     reason I used it in preference to Debian was its Long Term Support ...
>
>  Have you ever used this?

Well, yes. I think maybe from 10.04 until it's EOL, or something like
that. Actually I was stuck on an old revision for quite some time after
the LTS lapsed as I recall because I was having trouble getting the
migrations done (this was pre-salt for me).

>  In other news, I ordered a couple of new Raspberry Pi 4's (2GB model)
> last night - will be setting up Home Assistant on one.

We live in exciting times! :)