[ProgClub programming] Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 07:52:37 AEST 2020

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 at 00:12, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org>
wrote:

> >   ... suggests that salt-minion latest (v3001) is available as deb
> > packages for Ubuntu 20 (Focal)
>
> Also, I should say, I really don't like adding additional APT sources
> unless I really have to.

 Yes, that used to be my thinking too.

 But this clearly is a 'really have to' situation -- the combination of
versions of software and distribution you wish to use, along with assuring
timely and automatic access to security patches, makes it so.

If there is a version of Salt Stack available from the developers why
> would that be missing from the Ubuntu packages..?

 There *are* Ubuntu packages -- or do you mean missing from the Ubuntu<tm>
repository?

 I guess that would be a question to ask Ubuntu.  Since you have a (long
term) support arrangement with them, I'm sure they'll be very responsive.
; )

> I'd just consider it a whole lot tidier and less risky if I were to get
> all of my software from the default Ubuntu LTS repos...

 Tidier?

 Less risky - that's demonstrably not true.  If we were both using these
repositories with unattended upgrades enabled, we'd have avoided that whole
kerfuffle from a couple of months ago.