[ProgClub programming] Fwd: SMART error (OfflineUncorrectableSector) detected on host: love

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Thu Apr 29 03:20:44 AEST 2021

So I got the email below from smartd running on my ProLiant MicroServer
Gen10 Ubuntu server 'love'.

I ran lsblk to get the software serial numbers (the serial number was
also in the email from smartd):

-------------------
Thu Apr 29 02:44:41
root at love:/home/jj5
# lsblk -I 8 -d -o NAME,SIZE,SERIAL
NAME   SIZE SERIAL
sda    3.7T V6GGTPKS
sdb    3.7T V6H42DES
sdc    3.7T V6H420KS
sdd    3.7T V6GGRKVS
sde  465.8G 184220A00B57
sdf  465.8G 184301A00645
sdg  232.9G 182481804949
sdh  232.9G 182481801165
-------------------

...and then I popped the lid on 'love' and used my whiz bang barcode
scanner [1] to determine the broken disk is in slot three:

HDD in 'love', facing front, left to right:

1: V6GGTPKS: /dev/sda
2: V6H42DES: /dev/sdb
3: V6H420KS: /dev/sdc
4: V6GGRKVS: /dev/sdd

My documentation

 https://www.jj5.net/disk/love.php

said the failed disk was a HGST HUS726T4TALA6L4 4TB WD Ultrastar.

I poppoed over to eBay

 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/274552542104

and ordered a new disk; it should arrive next week.

I did some research and documentation in preparation for the new disk's
arrival:

 https://www.progclub.org/blog/2021/04/29/replace-a-disk-in-a-zfs-pool/

So now it looks like I'm about to get the "I have replaced a degraded
disk in ZFS on Linux" feather in my cap. I hope nothing goes wrong!

[1] https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0829R5J2X